Top 5 Home Buying Mistakes in Saskatoon
Tags: Buyer's Tips, BUYING A HOUSE IN SASKATOON, Helpful Advice 5 housing mistakes to avoid, KEVIN APPL, SASKATOON
Act Now to Save Time, Money, and Regret!
Picture this: you’ve finally found the perfect home in Saskatoon, the city you’ve been dreaming of calling home. You’re about to sign on the dotted line, only to discover you’ve made a costly mistake—one that could have been easily avoided. Don’t let this happen to you! In the rapidly growing housing market of Saskatoon, it’s more important than ever to know the pitfalls and how to sidestep them. I’ve compiled a list of the top 5 mistakes people make when buying a home in Saskatoon, so you can act now and save yourself time, money, and heartache. Let’s dive in!
- Skipping the Neighbourhood Research One big mistake some folks make is not checking out the neighbourhood they’re considering. It’s super important to think about things like schools, local amenities, crime rates, and transportation options. Pop by the area at different times of the day to get a feel for the vibe, noise levels, and overall sense of community. Don’t be shy—chat with residents to get their take on what it’s like living there.
- Forgetting About Pre-Approval Before you even start hunting for your dream home is a huge mistake. Make sure to get a mortgage pre-approval. Not only does it help you understand your budget, but it also gives you a leg up when making an offer. Sellers are more likely to say “yes” to an offer from a pre-approved buyer since it shows you’re financially ready and serious about buying. Trust me, you don’t want to miss out on the perfect place because you skipped this step!
- Cutting Corners on the Home Inspection. I get it—when you find a place you love, it’s easy to let your excitement take over. But don’t forget about the importance of a thorough home inspection. A professional home inspector can spot potential problems that might cost you a pretty penny down the road. Make sure you hire a qualified inspector and tag along during the inspection to ask questions and get a better understanding of the property’s condition.
- Ignoring Drive Time and Public Transit Access. Another thing people tend to overlook when buying a home is the daily commute. Whether you’re driving or taking public transit, the time it takes to get to work or other important destinations can have a big impact on your quality of life. Check out the available transit options and try taking a test drive during rush hour to see what your commute would be like. You’ll thank yourself later!
- Letting Your Heart Rule Your Head. Falling head over heels for a property is totally normal, but be careful not to let your emotions run the show. That’s a surefire way to overpay or miss out on potential issues. Stay grounded by making a list of your must-haves and nice-to-haves in a home and refer to it throughout your search. Remember, you can always change the paint color or update the kitchen, but you can’t change the location or fix major structural problems.
Buying a home in Saskatoon should be an exciting and enjoyable experience, so be sure to keep these potential mistakes in mind to ensure smooth sailing. By doing your neighborhood homework, getting pre-approved, investing in a solid home inspection, considering your commute, and keeping a level head, you’ll be well on your way to finding your dream home in this fabulous city. Happy house hunting!
Here are a few additional articles to help you get familiar with buying a home in Saskatoon!
By: Kevin Appl